Dropbox is such a great tool for storing and sharing files and project folders, and many of our interior designers use it to send documents to their clients, contractors, and collaborators. One mistake we’ve seen happen repeatedly is users sharing Dropbox folders in a way that gives the receiver access to edit and delete files. This can cause major trouble if you don’t have multiple copies stored in different places. Even if you do, it’s an inconvenience to reassemble a project file. Good news: it is so easy to send folders and files as “read-only” links and today, we are telling you how! If you’re sharing documents or portfolio images or anything you’d rather not lose or be changed, follow these easy steps to send it securely.
1. Sign into your Dropbox account and find the file or folder you’re planning to share. Hover over it with your cursor.
2. When “Share” appears, click it.
3. If there’s no link associated with the file/folder, click “Create a link.” Alternatively, if a link already exists, click “Copy link.”
4. The link will be ready to paste. You can then insert it wherever it needs to go—email, message, or document.
If you have the Dropbox app installed on your desktop, skip the website and go straight to the file you want to share in Finder. Right click it and choose “Copy Dropbox Link.” Then, it’s straight to step 4 above.
Interior Design: Amber Interiors | Photography: Tessa Neustadt
1. Find the file or folder you want to share in the Dropbox app.
2. Click the ellipsis (“…”).
3. Tap “Share.”
4. Select “Create a Link.” If a link has already been shared from this file, tap “Share” next to “Anyone with the link can view.”
5. Select your viewing preference from the options and send.
If you’re using a Dropbox Professional or Business account, you can change your shared link permissions at any time through your account settings.
Even with these precautions in place, we always recommend having multiple back-ups of your documents and images. Protect your hard work so you will always have it on hand!
For more tips for elevating your interior design or lifestyle brand, check out these posts:
The Identité Collective is a full service creative studio for interior designers and boutique lifestyle brands. Offering bespoke branding, web design and social media content creation, we help brands built around beautiful living elevate their digital presence to represent the physical spaces they design. Want to work together? Shoot us an inquiry here.
click to leave us a comment
we want to hear from you!